Showing 21 - 30 of 35 Records
The Gadfly: a UVM student newspaper
- Date Created: 1985-1997
- Description: The Gadfly, a University of Vermont (UVM) alternative student newspaper, was published by a nonhierarchical collective from 1985 to 1997. The Gadfly Collective, a recognized student club, was part of the Union of Concerned Students, which served as a coordinating group and resource center for progressive student groups at UVM. A quote from Plato on the masthead explained the paper’s title and mission, “I was attached to this city as upon a great noble horse, which was somewhat sluggish because of its size and needed to be stirred up by a kind of gadfly.” The paper’s frequency varied from semi-weekly, to monthly and then quarterly. After a 16-month hiatus beginning in late 1994, The Gadfly reappeared in March 1996 “to educate, uncover lies and invoke action.” The last issue appeared in February 1997. The Gadfly challenged the UVM community by presenting alternative viewpoints about issues on campus, in Burlington and Vermont. It also addressed national and international areas of concern. The paper published articles, commentaries and essays, interviews, art, letters, poetry and announcements about community events. Members of the collective and the community contributed content, but The Gadfly also reprinted articles from other publications. As a forum for debate, The Gadfly tackled controversial campus issues such as divestment, racism and diversity, military recruiting, policies and decision making, labor, and student activism.
Out in the Mountains
- Date Issued: 1986-2007
- Description: Out in the Mountains was the only LGBT focused newspaper in Vermont from early 1986 to January of 2007 when the last issue was released. The newspaper provided a forum for a diverse LGBT community to stay connected, covered issues facing the community such as violence, isolation and HIV, and discussed policy and organizing efforts to battle discrimination against LGBT people in Vermont and in the United States as a whole. Some significant milestones for LGBT rights in Vermont covered by Out in the Mountains include the passage of Civil Unions and the Vermont Employment Non-Discrimination Act. The newspaper featured ongoing advice and dating column, a series of coming out stories, a column for youth writers, LGBT cartoonists including Alison Bechdel, and profiles of prominent community members. The newspaper refused to print advertisements for alcohol or cigarettes, and ran advertisements for safer sex practices. Out in the Mountains ceased publication due to financial difficulties.
Kake Walk at UVM
- Date Created: 1896-2004
- Description: The Kake Walk at UVM collection documents a former University of Vermont event that is for some a hallowed tradition and for others overt racism. The terminated competition, which was the highlight of the campus social calendar for over eighty years, featured fraternity brothers in blackface and kinky wigs dancing to the tune of "Cotton Babes." HISTORY UVM's Kake Walk dates to the early 1890s when it resembled the popular American minstrel show. A dance known as the cakewalk, by then a standard act in minstrel theatre, originated on plantations as a competition among slaves. The pair that most entertained their white owners would be awarded cake. The cakewalk later evolved into a refined social dance whose accompanying music was a predecessor to ragtime. UVM's Kake Walk departed from these styles, however, to become its own unique tradition. Early Kake Walks featured a pair of men in costume (one in drag) wearing blackface. In addition to the "a walkin' fo' de kake" competition, the event included grotesque stunts and a peerade; skits were soon added. In the 1930s and 1940s, the Winter Carnival weekend grew to include the election of a King and Queen and a snow sculpture competition. After World War II, male walkers wore suits in the colors of their fraternity known as "silks." The judging was codified as the high-stepping dances became more and more stylized. By the 1960s, the three-day festival also included a ball, a jazz concert, and winter sporting events. Local merchants benefitted from the influx of returning alumni and visiting guests, and the organizing committee made significant profits. Kake Walk was governed by fraternity brothers known as Directors, as well as a female student appointed Secretary. Professors James Loewen and Larry McCrorey date dissent concerning Kake Walk to as early as 1954 when Phi Sigma Delta first refused to wear blackface. Various statements opposing Kake Walk were printed in the Cynic, published in local papers, and delivered at public events; two students picketed the last performance. In 1963, the Interfraternity Council (IFC) voted to eliminate blackface in favor of light green makeup but to continue using dialect. In 1964, due to audience complaints, the makeup was changed again to a darker green which, in black and white photographs, is impossible to distinguish from blackface. In 1969, due to successive decisions by a student-faculty committee, the Student Association, and the IFC, Kake Walk was officially eliminated from the Winter Carnival weekend. DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF COLLECTION This digital collection contains a selection of records from the University Archives such as event invitations, recruitment flyers, documentation of ticket requests, press releases, financial records, committee minutes, and director's reports. There are several representative examples of correspondence from alumni and community members responding to the discontinuation of Kake Walk. Some notable records include the 1964 document "A New Face," which announces the switch to dark green makeup after one year of light green; the results of the 1969 student opinion poll on the future of Kake Walk; the October 31, 1969 announcement eliminating Kake Walk from the Winter Carnival weekend; and a 1977 letter describing the Greek and Panhellenic vote to oppose any Kake Walk revivals. Fourteen student newspapers from the University of Vermont are included in this collection. Every year, The Vermont Cynic produced a Kake Walk special edition. A sampling of papers from 1923 - 1977 were selected for this digital collection, as well as an article from 2004. The Cynics include some advertisements and articles unrelated to Kake Walk, but the majority of the papers' contents document Winter Carnival planning, activities, and participants. Some of the later newspapers, such as the 1954 Cynic, include debates around Kake Walk and voices of dissent. Twenty-one Kake Walk programs ranging from 1898 to 1970 document the increasingly well-designed and expensively-produced publications. The programs contain information about winter carnival events, judges, committee members, participants, scorecards, royalty candidates, and awards. The programs include advertisements from local businesses, photographs of activities and participants, and various accounts of the history of Kake Walk. Blackface first appeared on a program cover in 1938 and was depicted on subsequent publications, with varying degrees of realism, until the last performance in 1969. Researchers will notice two parody programs: a 1922 publication imitating a Communist "rag" and a 1924 program entitled The Bohemian Meow. The program for the 1970 film festival which replaced Kake Walk is also included. More than one hundred photographs taken during the last decade of the University of Vermont's Winter Carnival are available in this collection. The photos were most likely taken by staff and student enthusiasts to document and publicize the committee's production work, Winter Carnival events, and Kake Walk performances. In some cases, professional photographers may have been hired. This collection also includes many non-traditional archival formats. Starting around 1912, all Kake Walkers choreographed their high-stepping dances to the syncopated tune of "Cotton Babes." A 10 inch 78 rpm record of this signature musical piece has been digitized and made available online. Originally composed by Percy Weinrich, this version of the song was arranged by UVM Band Director Joseph Lechnyr. A bronze Kake Walk trophy and fraternity drinking souvenirs such as a metal cup and a ceramic jug represent the many artifacts associated with this event. In 2004, the Howe Library held an exhibit entitled "UVM's Past: The Legacy of Kake Walk." This collection makes available exhibit materials archived at UVM, including newspaper articles which may have been on display, draft exhibit labels, and a notebook containing visitor comments. PROCESSING INFORMATION Undergraduate and continuing education students enrolled in the summer 2010 ALANA US Ethnic Studies course "Curating Kake Walk: Race, Memory, and Representation" contributed to this collection overview and provided subject headings describing many of the collection's digital objects. They also developed several criteria in order to select the collection image thumbnail. In a statement reflective of class discussions and opinions, one group wrote that the Kake Walk at UVM materials "should be seen not as encouraging racism, but as an opportunity to learn from insensitivities from the past that can help us build a more unified future. SUGGESTED READINGS For more information, see "The Black Image in White Vermont: The Origin, Meaning, and Abolition of Kake Walk" by former UVM Professor James Loewen. This chapter is included in this collection and was originally published as part of a book commemorating the University of Vermont's bicentennial. At the time this collection launched, it was the only known scholarly work on Kake Walk. Another secondary source which discusses Kake Walk, a 2004 speech on racism in Vermont by Professor Larry McCrorey, is also included here. See also a document in this collection entitled "Kake Walk Data" which compiles minutes and published information on committees, judges, programs, receipts, rules, and walkers.
Maple Research Collection
- Creator: Proctor Maple Research Center, Vermont Agricultural Experiment Station.
- Date Created: 1890-1988
- Description: This collection documents the history of maple research at the University of Vermont. Included in the collection is a selection of photographs from the archives of the Proctor Maple of Vermont (UVM), and the first permanent maple research facility in the United States. The photographs, taken between 1948-1957, document the construction of the field station’s first sugarhouse, as well as the PMRC sugar bush and early maple experiments. Also included in the collection are the published University of Vermont Agricultural Extension bulletins on maple research (1890-1988), taken from both the Proctor Maple Research Center archive and the University of Vermont Libraries Department of Special Collections. Maple research in Vermont has a long history, dating back to the early 1890s, when C. H. (Charles Howard) Jones, head of the UVM Agricultural Experiment Station and a prominent early maple sugar chemist, conducted seminal research on the biology of maple trees to better understand the sap flow mechanism and its dependence on meteorological changes, as well as the considerable variance in sap sugar content. In 1946, James Marvin and Fred Taylor founded the Proctor Maple Research Center with a donation by Governor Mortimer Proctor of the former “Harvey Farm” in Underhill Center, Vermont, to UVM. For the first year of operation, research on sap flow, maple tree physiology, and the economics of maple production were conducted in an 8’ x 12’ shed. In 1948, the first sugarhouse was constructed to allow research on syrup production techniques, followed several years later by the C.H. Jones Laboratory (which served as the primary research laboratory until it burned down in 1998). Through the years, the PMRC has had its fair share of prominent maple researchers, scientists and educators, including Frederick Laing, whose research helped develop and improve methods of installing plastic tubing and directed improvements in using vacuum pumps to increase sap yields, and Mariafranca Morselli, who brought a greater understanding to the role of microorganisms in determining syrup grade, as well as developing methods to detect adulteration of maple syrup by adding other sugars. In 1999, the PMRC was named to the National Register of Historic Places, and today houses facilities that include an 8,000 square foot laboratory and a demonstration and research sugarhouse, as well as the original research shed.
Vermonters in the Civil War
- Description: Vermont soldiers in the Civil War wrote an enormous quantity of letters and diaries, of which many thousands have survived in libraries, historical societies, and in private hands. This collection represents a selection of letters and diaries from the University of Vermont and the Vermont Historical Society. The collection includes materials dating from 1861-1865. Materials were selected for digitization to provide a variety of perspectives on events and issues. The voices represented in the collection include private soldiers and officers, as well as a few civilians. All of the extant Civil War-era letters or diaries of each of the selected individuals (at least, all that are to be found in the participating institutions’ collections) are included; each adds a certain experience and point of view to the whole. Officers in the photo above are (from left to right): Lieutenant Colonel Charles B. Stoughton, Colonel Edwin H. Stoughton, Major Harry N. Worthen. All are from the Fourth Vermont Infantry Regiment.
Vermont Woman
- Date Created: 1985-1990, 2003-2019
- Description: Vermont Woman was a woman’s advocacy publication that was first issued monthly from 1985 to 1990. The publication restarted in 2003 with five issues per year and then four until it ceased in 2019. Woman-owned and staffed, Vermont Woman provided women’s perspectives on a wide range of topics. Articles written by women documented women’s achievements and confronted a multitude of challenging concerns. The publisher and the editors took stands on issues relevant to women, including work, education, finance, health, politics sexuality, relationships and family. They actively supported politicians and leaders who were committed to ending inequities and improving women’s lives. During its years of publication, Vermont Woman helped connect women throughout the state, achieving circulation to thousands of readers through free distribution and paid subscriptions.
Diaries
- Date Created: 1766-1919
- Description: The Diaries collection provides access to more than thirty fully transcribed and searchable diaries from the eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth century. The collection includes diaries documenting student life at UVM in different eras, the 1918-1919 flu epidemic, the civil war, life in Italy in the early 1860’s, courtship and marriage, social life, religious life, employment opportunities for women, travel, life at a summer cottage, and more.
Maple Recipe Collection
- Date Created: 1952-2008
- Description: The Maple Recipe collection offers a unique glimpse at the variety in maple sugar and maple syrup use over the last half-century, as it is prominently featured in a range of dishes, from the sweet to the savory. The collection includes entrees, side dishes, appetizers, breads and desserts, and draws recipes from a variety of sources, including commercial cookbooks, regional cookbooks, and community cookbooks. Highlights of the collection include: a selection of recipes from Judith Jones, cookbook editor for Julia Child and part-time Vermont resident; published recipes from celebrated Vermont food establishments, including the Inn at Shelburne Farms, the Cobble House Inn, and the New England Culinary Institute; and recipes from community organizations, including local Vermont church groups, the Green Mountain Folklore Society, and the University of Vermont. The materials in this collection are a small sampling of the cookbook collection in the University of Vermont Libraries Department of Special Collections.
John Johnson Collection
- Creator: Johnson, John, 1771-1842
- Date Created: 1793-1842
- Description: The John Johnson Collection consists of 168 maps, surveys, and architectural drawings. The items included here represent every town in Chittenden County, as well as much of the rest of northwestern Vermont. The original items are in the Oversize Maps and Surveys series in the John Johson Papers, which also contain seven cartons of records divided into the following broad categories: correspondence; business papers; architectural plans and drawings; maps and surveys; bound manuscripts; and miscellaneous papers. More information about the John Johnson Papers is available here - http://scfindingaids.uvm.edu/repositories/2/resources/1249 John Johnson -- surveyor, millwright, master builder, civil engineer -- was born in Canterbury, New Hampshire on December 2, 1771. He moved to north-western Vermont in 1790 and eventually settled in Essex, where he helped build a dam and several mills at Hubbells Falls on the Winooski River. Johnson's practical versatility soon made him the most prominent surveyor and engineer in northern Vermont and Lower Canada, and the growing demand for his services led him to move to Burlington in 1809. He was named Surveyor General of Vermont in 1813, and four years later received the appointment of superintendent of the survey of the United States-Canada border from the Bay of Fundy to the head of the Connecticut River. Although the survey was suspended after two years, Johnson's work along the Maine-New Brunswick line in 1818-19 served as a partial basis for the final settlement of the border under the Webster-Ashburton Treaty in 1842. Johnson maintained his several careers in the 1820's and 1830's. He designed or constructed many of the finest residences and public buildings in Chittenden County, served as a consultant on engineering projects as far away as North Carolina and Illinois, and continued to run surveys throughout northern Vermont. He also served again as Surveyor General of the state in the 1830's, and worked throughout that decade as an inspector for the Vermont Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Johnson died of sudden attack of erysipelas fever on April 30, 1842 at the age of seventy.